Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Not Much of Anything At All (plus my 2007 book list)

That's what I would have to say if you asked what I'd been doing. But it would be a lie! I've been a very busy boy. To start off, I would like to say that I hate me computer and I hate me some Dell. What a piece of poop. Okay, that's out of my system. Since I've last posted I've
-Been to see the dentist for the first time since 2000 or 2001 (I can't really remember). It wasn't too bad. I have to have some enamel filled, but I was expecting to leave the place with dentures.
-I'm taking the Chantix. It seems to be reducing my desire to smoke, but I worry that it seems more of a habitual thing than I thought it would be. There are designated times that I smoke during the day and I seem to always smoke during them. But in times of limbo I certainly don't seem to smoke as much (for example, when I got home from school today at 1, I didn't smoke again until around 8).
-We had some beautiful days in the 70s and we had snow.
-I made some sweet sweet moola feeding Jim's dogs in Asheboro.
-Jed's poor car caught on fire and burned to a crisp. I miss Moon Max and will always remember that he carried me to some absolutely beautiful places. Jed subsequently bought a new "grown up" car.
-Emily and I ate a lot of vegetable.
-I read a lot of Hemingway.
-I bought 3 new pairs of shoes at REI. Magical new shoes, mmmmm!
-The Cloudbook was delayed at least 37 times. I don't even want one anymore.
-I got over my obsession with the Grateful Dead. Now I'm obsessed with bikes.
-I want to sell everything I own (I'd just give it away, but a brother has to turn a profit).
-Emily got a Kindle and loves it.
-I started watching Dark Angel (which I hated when it was on) and absolutely love it. The show is so horrible that I can't help but love it. Plus there are computers, mutants, bicycles, and Jessica Alba. Emily started watching Big Love. I don't like it very much and refuse to watch it with her.
-I got called in for JURY DUTY!!!
-There were two scholarships that I was eligible for that I applied to. No news yet, and I don't have very high hopes. I don't really DO that much, especially at school, which is what I believe that they are looking for.
-I have lots of bills (that's a sad one).
-I watched two sucky anime movies that almost drove me totally away from animation because they were so bad. Then I watched a Miyizaki film and my faith was restored. My Neighbor Totoro is one of the best movies ever made.
-Jed might sell me the roof rack from Max so that I can have one. It is only moderately crispy.
-If Pops reads this he should contact me so I can ask him numerous annoying questions about stupid bike stuff that he is not really interested it. But he has to realize that I don't have anyone here to talk to about that stupid bike stuff and it just sits in my head and then I feel bad for calling him to ask some really dumb question like, "If I buy a really cheap $50 bike from Target will it make me happier than the bike I have now, and if so how can I rationalize the purchase?" When really I will say, "There's a $50 bike at Target that's new and shiny and cheap, and I don't like my bike, what should I do?" I start to feel guilty when I call and have this conversation EVERY time we talk, but I do like some nonsensical reassurance.
-Work sucks. I like the new shift, but I've been there too long. I thought about transferring, but I don't particularly like any of the other stores that much either.
-Emily says I have to study for my chemistry test now, which I rationally know but I don't want to do because it's hard and I'm tired. I leave you with some pictures.



Hello!
I recently made some updates to the blog. The Tata Nano has been removed as a news feed and replaced with the Asus EEE PC, which I'm starting to like better than the cloudbook. My main pic. and profile pic. are new also. There are two new links added as well that deserve a look. I took off the "Books since sept. 2007" list and updated it to be 2008. The books that I had read from Sept. 2007 are:

Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen
When Heaven and Earth Changed Places, Le Ly Hayslip with Jay Wurts
Mutant Message Down Under, Marlo Morgan
The Mother Earth News Almanac, A Guide Through the Seasons
Three Singles to Adventure, Gerald Durrell
Lady of the Mazes, Karl Schroeder
Son of the Revolution, Liang Heng and Judith Shapiro
Runaways Volumes 1-7, Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona
Family, Pa Chin
Guards! Guards!, Terry Pratchett
California Sorcery, edited by William F. Nolan and William Schafer
Pearl Harbor, Robert Goldston
Barefoot Heart, Elva Trevino Hart
Showcase Presents Batman and the Outsiders, Mike Barr and Jim Aparo
Strangers in Paradise pocket book 1 and 2, Terry Moore
American Gods, Neil Gaiman
Around the World in 45 Years, Charles Schulz
Identity Crisis, Brad Meltzer and Rags Morales
Spook Country, William Gibson
High Society & Cerebus, Dave Sims
Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Bourdain
World War Z, Max Brooks
The Ghost Brigades, John Scalzi
The Complete Bone, Jeff Smith
The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy
(this book led me to briefly corresponding with my all time favorite author, Bruce Sterling)
Thud, Terry Pratchett
Watchmen, Alan Moore

5 comments:

Emily said...

that new picture of you with no eyes scares me

IM said...

your post makes me want to watch a Miyazaki (sp?) film.

ashleysnyder said...

when is this starbucks luncheon happening?

ashleysnyder said...

i left you a cd at work, hopefully you'll get it.

Anonymous said...

I'm Charles G. Waugh. I hope you enjoyed my anthology.
Also, might I suggest a better title for The Sex Lives of Cannibals? How about: Munch ado about Nutting?