Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 1 o Jamaica!

Emily and I woke up early this morning, had a snack and shower and they caught the hotel shuttle to the airport. Puffing my last preflight ciggy, I met a nice girl who had been trapped in airports for three days going from London to Vegas. It was 5:40 in the morning and she was sipping a beast light (ugh) and puffing away. Once on the plane I was psyched to listen to the dub playlist I had made for myself, but found that my cheap headphones didn't quite have the bass fidelity to make the lower sounds audible over airplane roar. It was all good though as I had loaded a lot of Miles. There is no better music to fly to than Miles! The plane was almost empty so we each got our own row. I spent most of the flight daydreaming about meeting cool musicians and thinking of ways to record stuff. Most specifically Craig and I, but also Mitch. I think it would be good practice and he really sounds great. I still haven't heard back from my "advisor" at GTCC yet, but I am only slightly worried. I alluded to going back to school in the last post but didn't go into detail. I am missing the first week of classes (oops) but as soon as I get back from Jamaica I am starting the recording engineering program at GTCC!. I signed up late so I didn't get all of the classes I wanted, but I'm excited about the ones I did get. The advisor guy I spoke to was helpful and cool.

So Emily and I have gotten in and gotten settled. Our room is awesome and I am already so full of fried calamari and rum that I can't even see straight. We got in around 11 and then took an adventurous bus ride across the island. Our hotel is really old and cool, and I already have a nickname, Jesus. I flash the pope sign to the staff like it is a gang sign and they all seem to get quite a kick out of it! We ate, took a nap, ate, took a tour, ate, drank some, ate and then napped again. In just a bit we will go back to eat again. I think I will look like a big balloon when we are married. Nothing is going to fit! :)

Not sure what our plans are for tomorrow, but it is sure to be fun. The place is beautiful, but it is definitely not "real" Jamaica. Hopefully we will get to see some of that, but we may able to. The drive up was amazing, and the mix of almost unbelievable wealth and poverty was insane. I felt like I was in some post-cyberpunk novel! Goats and digicell my friend!

Emily says it is time to eat again, so I suppose that is it for now. I hope we can go see Marley's burial site tomorrow (got to pay respek) and will try to get online again in the evening and update. Don't worry there are lots of pics! Dottie, James, and Mary Ann gave Em's and I a sweet waterproof camera that I have been lugging around snapping everything in sight.
Love til next time
_Vm

No comments: