Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Jamaica Day 4 -- MARRIED!!!

So the biggest news is Emily and I are married! It was so much fun. We woke up this morning and got all prettied up (Emily got her hair done, nails did, etc.) and headed down. The weather was a little overcast and rainy so we did it in the old 1940s dining room (it reminded me of the Arlington, which made it even more special). They got us all married up with an awesome Jamaican minister, then we ate lots of cake. We even did the Jamaican "feeding the bird" photos. It was hilarious! They all loved our smurf cake toppers, and we even got props on our wedding music. Here's the track list (it was pretty short):
1. "It's Only Time" by Magnetic Fields
2. "Morning Sigh" by Health (the local one)
3. "Ring of Gold" by the Melodians
4. "Question" by Old 97s
Then we went out on a sweet photo shoot. The photographer was really fun and let us do silly things (i.e. Emily lying on piano, me with my butt in the air, Emily attempting to carry me, etc.) Trust me, you will see them! I have never seen Emily look more beautiful, and it was absolutely magical.
Then we went back to our room and napped (10:00 am weddings are hard, especially if you have french toast and bacon, but only two plates, for breakfast). Then they brought us champagne and chocolate (which emily licked off the plate, she has a problem...), and also fun "just married" t-shirts. While we were at dinner they turned down the bed and sprinkled flowers on it. Nice. Tomorrow they will bring us breakfast in bed and then we get massages. Life is pretty hard here for us :)
This afternoon we mostly puttered around and took photos, but did manage to catch a fantastic steel band this evening. I wanted one of their cds but they wanted $30 for it and it didn't even have the song I wanted so I passed on it. They were pretty awesome though. Another cool thing that happened today is that the photographer is also a musician and we started chatting about music (he was the one that liked the melodians). He invited us maybe (he had to check to make sure it was happening) to a locals club on Friday to check out the best local reggae/gospel/etc. talent. It sounds pretty cool and I hope we get to go. Tomorrow we have some shopping trip and then the catamaran cruise. We may try to slip in a little snorkeling. Going on the nine mile tour really whet my appetite to see more of the "real" jamaica, but I doubt that the shopping trip will take us outside normal tourist zones. But I can watch it while we drive through! That's pretty much it. The people in the information/internet center all got a pretty big kick out of me asking Emily just now if we did anything today besides get married. It sounds I little silly I suppose. Off to sleep now, have to get well rested to munch up that big ol breakfast! I think I've gained 50lbs here...

2 comments:

Theresa Mattiello said...

HEY! Sounds sooo awesome! I love the Melodians...glad you know them too because I don't think many people (besides Jamaicans) do! Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

Anonymous said...

All my love and congrats to you both. Love all the beautiful pictures. I love you, Nan