Sunday, September 11, 2011

Guitar Build Pt. 1

Okay, so here are the first pics of the build. I didn't take any of the unassembled guitar because I was lazy, and these are just some really blurry pics from my cell phone. I think that I am going to leave the neck alone and just leave it as unstained wood. It feels really smooth and comfortable. I attached the tuning keys on the headstock (yay). I sanded the body down with progressively finer grit sandpaper and then used some canned air and a cloth to get all the dust off. I put on the first coat of tung oil and buffed it this afternoon. I plan on having the guitar look really natural, but will put at least 4 or 5 coats of oil on it. Hopefully that will darken it up a little bit. The body is super light and is made of paulonia (no clue what kind of wood it is). It feels like balsa. There were some dents and scratches in it from the factory. I tried to sand out some of the smaller little dents and big swathes of wood came away. Oops. This is just a cheap little build so I'm not very worried, but I still would like it to look at least halfway decent :)

I will apply another coat tomorrow and possibly fiddle with some of the electronics (although I don't really have any confidence there!). I am thinking about trying to make a different pickguard but the drop in easiness of the pre assembled one will probably appeal more to my lazy nature.



No comments: