Monday, October 22, 2007

Questions


Yesterday was a pretty great day. Although the procrastination bug bit me pretty hard last week, I really feel like I have some things figured out and recharged my batteries. Here are some pics I took at the Farmer's Market yesterday. E. and I woke up early (11 ish) and went to brunch at Muse. Then we came home and groaned for little bit before setting off to the market. They had a great pumpkin house, and some incredibly amazing plants that reacted when you touched them. It was sweet. I bought some clay monks because I'm weird, but not as weird as the guy who sold them to me. He told me that I needed to feed them "monk"fish, and that I should keep them away from keys or there would be "monk" key business. Ha ha. I love puns as much as the next guy and I will admit I was delighted with this 65 year old guy in camouflage suspenders feeding me bad puns. I still haven't done any homework and feel guilty but happy about that. Emily thinks that I should try to just get my history degree and get out, and I really think I'm considering it. It's really scary to think about, but she thinks that I should maybe get out with a bachelors, and go to grad school for librarian stuff. I know that's a good idea because even if I still want to help kids the school librarians (according to statistics I found) make almost twice as much as a teacher. I know that it's not all about the money, but sometimes I get kind of tired of being so poor and constantly having FRUGALITY as my watchword. Don't get me wrong, I know that I lead a very safe and privileged life, I'm certainly not going hungry, and there are many people WAY worse off than me. But sometimes I want more. Maybe I'm not so great a person for feeling that way, and maybe I'll change my mind later, but right now I feel happy but hungry (not literally, figuratively).

1 comment:

IM said...

The history major here is a good one. I know many people who have Library Science degrees and who do very well. My sister is one of them. She went into publishing with her degree and now is the "earner" in the family. But it is also about what you want to do. I miss the days when I could blow $100 @ borders a week. It's relative though because now I enjoy used bookstores and libraries. Sounds like a good Sunday.