Wednesday, January 19, 2011

In Time

So it has been pretty slow around here. We put in our grades and were struck by just how inefficient everything is in China. I have been fighting off a little sick for a long time, but hopefully antibiotics will take care of it. Tomorrow is Emily's birthday and I think I am more excited than she is. It has been a wonderful trip with her. She has been my best friend, my support, and the absolute greatest thing that has ever happened to me. It really seems like yesterday that I met her at the movie theater. We are going to be headed out to Thailand next week and it really just seems magical. China has had some highs and lows, but I get so happy when I think of how awesome it is that we are here doing this! Being here, teaching, helping, getting to see cool stuff and get completely immersed in a whole different culture. I have learned so much here. Mostly about myself! Going to Thailand has been a dream for a long time and going with her makes it that much more special. I'm going to eat so much food there!!!
I've been reading a lot of stuff about society and our place in it, but not really sure if it will ever turn into anything solid in the terms of living. It is so easy to get inspired by speeches or by peoples words, but so hard to maintain that fire and drive when the book/pamphlet/webpage is done. Taking it beyond being read and turning it into something you try and live is a real task.

1 comment:

Dougpad said...

Sounds like you've come full circle on evaluating your China experience. Living overseas felt like going through the stages of grief for me.

You seem to be in a very good place with it all.

Sure am proud of you!