Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Fantasmagoric New Years Beach Trip '07/'08!!! (part 2-The Story)

Day 1: It started on Sat. The final trip of 'o7 and the first trip of '08. I had spent the whole day prepping, shopping for necessary items that (who knows) they might not have in SC and getting the vehicle ready. I have always been a bit retentive about getting a car checked out before a trip, because what if I didn't and something screwed up that could have been prevented? I know that doesn't mesh well with the new attitude I'm trying to foster in myself, but old habits die hard. The car was checked out and fueled and (somewhat) cleaned. The day had been spent scrambling around, packing and stuffing stuff into the car as I awaited my two traveling companions. Emily finally got home from work and we went to get Jed. While I thought I had prepared for every eventuality, Jed had packed as if we were fleeing the country. As we packed up his golden mules, and 24 different pairs of shoes, we all hacked and spit excessive amounts of plegm. All of us had been pretty sick before the trip, so we sounded like a bunch sickos the whole way down. Jed decided that communication through ad libbed sign language was the way to go, which more than once led to me hoarsely rasping "Just say it for chrisake!" The drive down was confusing because we were not only trying a new way, but mapwuest had neglected to tell us that parts of 220 and 74 were closed for some reason or another. It was fine though, and we eventually got to the condo. That night we read and watched some tv before all collapsing into bed.

Day 2: The next morning we awoke to a beautiful, fairytale like mist encompassing most of the land. It was truly magical. We drove to the grocery store and loaded up a months worth of groceries for the two days we had left. Jed and I headed out with Emily to see the beach and play around. The mist was beautiful. Later that day we went to Duffy Street, which had been highly recommended by my mother, and had a not so delicious meal. We chalked it up to a learning experience until the bill came, $50!!! WTF!!! We became visibly angry and went back home. We decided that this first evening would consist of us eating delicious crudite, and reading whatever we wanted! I start school on the 14th, so reading whatever I want is something to treasure. Jed and EMily watched many Snoop Dogg reality show episodes, and I fell asleep listening to the Grateful Dead, dreaming about feeding the fishy.

Day 3: We awoke with the sun and drank delicious coffee before heading out to Broadway at the Beach. It is there that the world famous Israeli Carp wait to be fed. I had been quite excited about letting Jed see these amazing creatures and he was suitably impressed. I bought a few Grateful Dead stickers, took some great photos of Jed and Emily, and bought some buffalo sandals. When we got back home we ate delicious pasta and drank champagne with cherries in it. Around midnight we went down to the beach and watched the fireworks. It looks to be a great new year.

Day 4: We all woke up late and lazily read until we went to get lunch. We ate at Hot Diggity Dog. I had a Beach Dog. We sat outside in the warm sunny air in our t-shirts, with our pant legs rolled up. The weather was so nice there. I hate the cold. After we got back we read and cleaned up sporadically. Then we went to the beach one last time. While Jed was building a trench from one of the tidal pools to the ocean, I found a little baby starfish. At first I thought it was dead, and put it in my cellophane cigarette wrapper. But Emily saw it move (so it was saved). We tossed it out a few feet into deeper ocean water and watched for a while to see that no seagulls got it. As we left it waved goodbye.

1 comment:

IM said...

I really like the beach in the winter. There's a motel in Nags Head where you can take your dog. What part of SC? Good going on all the Dead related experiences. If you ever need anymore, I have over 400 tapes.