Sunday, September 9, 2007

My Best Friend Jed

Jed Weston. My best friend since 2001. I don't think I have ever had a friend for that long. I suppose that's a sad thing, but I never felt like it was. I met Jed in orientation at Wilmington. I was in this huge assembly and this guy sitting behind me was throwing out these massively cheesy lines to a (if I remember correctly) marginally pretty girl. I was feeling a little lonely, and I heard him say that he was from Greensboro, so Iturned around and excitedly yelled "I'm from Greensboro too!" Successful in my unintentional disruption of his gentlemanly pursuits, I turned back around chagrined at my sad showing of the college level of cool. Months later at move in, who should turn out to be my next door neighbor but this long haired hippy from orientation. The rest is history. He had always been a great guy. Which is why I was so excited on Friday night when he casually walked up to me at Starbucks while I was working. We met up at 11 after I got off work. He came by the house and met Emily's friend Dottie. Jed told me later that he had watched hundreds of episodes of Cops over the summer and, knowing that Dotte had just been accepted to police academy, desperately wanted to grill her. Luckily he held back. Jed had just returned earlier in the week from Denver Colorado and brought me this totally sweet mug. I really wish that he would start a blog (hint, hint, Jed) because, unlike me, he actually does some really fun and interesting things. Also, he takes great photos. Maybe someday. I tried to convince him it was just like writing a journal except that other people read it and HAVE to accept what you say as the truth (for example, I am really cool. See? Now everyone has to accept that as truth with capital T. It may not be true, but you don't know really do you? HA!) I had a great time with him smoking disgusting banana flavor cigars and drinking nasty bottled frapps. We strolled in the park long past midnight and only twice interrupted couples walking romantically along the path. I certainly would be scared by two fellows smoking overlarge banana scented cigars and waving around glass bottles while discussing their feelings in loud boisterous voices at 2 in the morning in the park. I didn't end up hitting the hay until almost 3 AM, which really sucked because I had to get up for work at 6. But it was all worth it. Seeing a great friend can really give you time to vent away some of the stress that surrounds the day to day. Hopefully he'll be back in town soon.

As I stated before, I'm a totally awesome and hip guy. So this is most definitely not a weird collection of decorative objects (read: toys) on my desktop. In fact, I don't even have a desk and I live in the woods. Woods are cool right? So I live in the woods and blog on my computer ran by a hand cranked generator. That's really green and cool. Once more, this is not a creepy collection of nerdy toys with a scary gnome surrounded by puppies looking around a display case like he wants to kill you.

2 comments:

IM said...

Sounds like Jed is a good bud. I like your figurines, is that a Flash Gordon action figure? That Gnome (did I spell that right) looks a little creepy.

Anonymous said...

Hey JEremyy!! Jed is cool.. that is funny about cops. haha ever since I have applied, my dad has been giving me cop tips. (-: Hope you are doing great!!! this is Dottie